Saturday 27 August 2011

Lobster smörgås

One of the consequences of branding myself as a 'foodie' is people assume that I can cook. That’s what occurred this evening as I walked into the kitchen before supper, and was casually tossed a chilled, cooked lobster along with the request (or was it an instruction), “you can do something creative with that can’t you?”

Now I would like to tell you that I eat lobsters all the time, but the truth is I may have cooked them three times in my life.  Still I had a quick look around the kitchen, and set about making a kind of improvised canapé, and if I am honest the result was not at all bad.  Here’s what I did.
Get all of the meat out of the lobster. (Twist off the claws and crack them with nut crackers or a tenderizing mallet, cut the body of the lobster in half from the head down to the tail and scoop out the pinky white flesh, discarding any brown gunk.) Cut the flesh into bite sized chunks and pop in a bowl.
In a saucepan, melt about 2 oz (60g) of butter and immediately mix this with the lobster flesh.  Add a couple of tablespoons of mayonnaise and mix well.
Thinly slice some sourdough bread, (rye bread or good quality whole meal would work too), and toast it lightly.
Butter the toast, and cut into pieces about 2 inches (5cm) square. Scoop the lobster evenly over the bread pieces, sprinkle with paprika and serve with lemon wedges. Delicious! And no real cooking involved.
So good in fact that I completely forgot to take any photos.  Only one thing to do, get another lobster!

1 comment:

  1. Good piece as ever Ken. Although lacking in pictures it is not lacking in graphic detail. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete